Tuesday, May 27, 2014

hey. hey. hey. hey LEYDIIIIII!

querida familia!!!

We are teaching a new investigator! Her name is Leydi (pronounced Lady) and she is 16! She accepted the invitation to be baptized on May 10th! We found her while we were street contacting one day, we offered to help but mostly watched her family try to fit a giant couch through their front door.. haha. We went back and she was the only one home.. but we had the impression come like, "This is so awkward, but DON'T STOP TALKING TO THIS GIRL!"

She shared with us that she didn't belive in God because no one could give her the answers she was looking for. We taught her to pray. Gotta try talking to Him if you want to know if He's there. Then we're all trying to get to know her like... so... do you like cheese? - name that movie, Mitchell. haha. She actually likes history! Aye. Just so happens I was holding in my hands the history of her ancient ancestors in the American continent. Funny how that works out. SPANISH WORK IS THE BESSSSSS. She loved it. Read more than she was assigned to after our first lesson! 

AND - it gets better. Leilani ( 20 year old recent convert of 2 years in our ward) Is like her perfect fellow-shipper. 

BUT - yeah, there's a but :( Leydi's parents aren't too pumped about the whole changing religions thing.. and Leilani's parents weren't either at first... BUT - another but. sorry for all the buts... This is not our work. This is His work. And miracles happen. yes. they. do. So just like it says in Doctrine and Coventants 123:17 that dad sent to me that one time - We will do all we can and then stand still and cheerfully wait for it all to work out :) haha (in my own palabras) 

La Familia Machuca... have been really busy.. but we had a great heart to heart with Diego on his doorstep. I almost cried. 

"Diego, As representatives of Jesus Christ, I just want to you know that we are so proud of you. It's a privilage to be a part of your life. And I know that if Jesus was standing in my place right now, He would be proud of you, too. But you know what you've gotta do. Put Him first, and everything else will either fall into place, or fall out of your life."

Something like that.. 

Get this; we decided to park at a park (go figure) and walk to our dinner appointment (in the area of the Other Hnas.) On the way back to the car from dinner, this woman walked out of her house to throw away her garbage.. we could have just kept walking.. she was on the other side of the street anyways... but NO HERMANA SKIDMORE YOU TALK TO EVERYONE. so we akwardly crossed the street.. "Hola somos misioneras..." Yeah she wasn't spanish.. haha. 

Her name is Babalasha.. she's from India.. walking out of her house to throw her trash away was the first time she'd been outside in days... "My father is gone..." She said.. "I'm so sad..." In broken english she explained the pain of losing someone and not knowing where they are... she burst in to tears.. there was a few embraces.. (Tay are you so proud of me? haha this is like a recurring theme in the mission..Lets cry and let Hna Skidmore take the long awkard hug..) 

No but really.

- Would you like to know where you father is?
- Yes, can you tell me...? How do you know where he is...? I miss him so much.. will I see him again.

Yes, Babalasha. There is a wonderful book of scripture called the Book of Mormon. in it the Lord revealed the Plan of Salvation. We can tell you exactly where your father is and I promise you, you will see him again. 

I love being a missionary... I can't explain the sense of gratitude that filled me as we got back in the car. Knowing that we were able to be there EXACTLY when the Lord needed us to be in order to bless His children is such a privilage. 

FUN FACT:

We were wlaking along the street doing contacting and saw some people moving. This group of friends that graduated from high school together were helping some other friends move - we offered to help and they said YES! They were all strong in a different Christian church but it was so fun! We moved boxes for 2 hours in our skirts :) and they we all shared Pizza and talked about God. 

Every day is an adventure. 

It's Easter Season todos :) I know God lives, I know He sent His son to live a perfect life, establish His church and show us the way. I know that Jesus Christ died for us and that he resurrected the 3rd day. I know that He lives Today. Now. And I know that he leads and guides His restored church on the Earth today through a living prophet, Thomas S. Monson. 

My name is Hermana Skidmore, I'm an awkward missionary, and I'm a Mormon. 

Con todo mi amor, 


Hna Skidmore