Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Alright Stop, Gird up your loins and Listen

HERE WE GOOOOOO!!!

BEST WEEK OF OUR LIVES!!!!!

This will be fast, hermanos y hermanas but here we go! 

Jorge (george) got baptized. He did. Yes. Dominic held him under the water extra long just to make sure all the dirty was out of him haha. They had this negotiation about how long Dom was going to hold him under. BUT GUYS! It's about following the example of Jesus Christ!... Boys.. haha. 

So this is his story.

Jorge was a lost kid. He's 19. Wasn't doing much with his life. Didn't know what to do, where to look, never been religious. But his Uncle (hermano salinas in our ward) was looking to reach out to someone. He remembered that his brother had a girlfriend.. and that they had a son.. but had never heard anything else about them. To facebook! They found each other and Jorge's mom expressed that Jorge needed some change. He started visiting the Salinas home and noticed something was different. Something felt different.

He started hanging out there more and more. They said, "Okay, but if you're here, you abide by our rules, and we go to church on sundays." Jorge agreed to go.. but said "Don't even think about converting me. I'm not into all this God stuff but I'll go.."

4 weeks later we get a call. It's hermano Salinas.. "Hermanas, que se tiene que hacer para bautizarse?" 

Who wants to be baptized, hermano?

Jorge.

We were at their house 4 days in a row and Jorge was ready.

He's amazing. We asked him why he wanted to be baptized he said "it feels right. I want to be clean. I want to be right with God. Ever since I've started all this, things are working out. I feel happier. I'm happier than I've ever been and I actually have a relationship with God. I want to get rid of my past and start over. I want to be clean. I want to really understand what my brother Jesus Christ did for me." 

So fam bam. He's a miracle. 4 weeks. 

I know that the gospel is a feeling. That we say.. "I know" when we bear our testimonies but the reason that we know is because we've FELT. I'm not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because my parents told me it was true, I'm a member because I've felt it. I've felt the familiar feeling of my heavenly home as I've gathered with my family to pray for rain, or a job, or a test. I've felt that feeling as we all go to Church together. I've felt that it's true when our world explodes, nothing goes right, but we still laugh at family dinner. I've felt that feeling when I've fallen to my knees in my room alone at night because I just don't know what to do anymore and I don't know where to turn. I've felt that feeling as I've become more and more dependent on my Savior because I know that He understands. 

I know because I've felt. and Jorge does too. He knows the basics of the Church. but it's the feeling se llama El Espiritu Santo that is the reason he decided to change his life. 

Alma 5:26.

I love you all so much. I love being a missionary. I love my Savior and I love this Gospel. I know it's true. I know this is the true church. I know it. I know it. I know it. 

Con todo mi corazon,


Hermana Skidmore