Sunday, August 11, 2013

Tengo GOZO en mi alma hoyyyyy (I have sunshine in my soul today!)


Okay this week!!!

WOWOWOW

Let's talk about prayer. 

I feel like a lot of people are intimidated to prayer. Like God is so great that like "why would he want me to talk to Him?"

Well the truth is. BECAUSE YOU'RE HIS CHILD! He is your best friend in the whole world. God wants to hear from you desperately. 

We were visiting some potential investigators this week in an apartment complex and this little girl Stephanie was following us around and telling us where all the spanish people live. Little kids are seriously the BEST for referrals! haha. She's 4 years old. Wearing this bright yellow tank top (mom if you remember I was obsessed with yellow before i left haha). She went with us to every door and just watched us talk to people. Then we had to leave for another appointment somewhere else and so we were like.. okay... bye... 

and she just stood there.. staring at us as we walked away... 

the thought popped into my head, as cliche as it sounds... "What would Jesus do?"

I turned around to look at her again, and I yelled, "Stephanie, do you want to say a prayer with us?" 

She just nodded. It was the cutest thing. 

So we sat on the steps of this random apartment and had the most spiritual experience of my mission so far. There were people walking by and what not but Stephine was completely focused, whcih is a lot for a 4 year old. 

We taught her how to start.. dear heavenely father.. give thanks for blessings, and ask for the things she needs, then end in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 

She speaks mainly english so we helped her pray. i said the words and she repeated after me. 

Her voice was clear. She enunciated very well. In that moment, I felt the love of the Savior beaming from this little Spanish girl in a yellow tank top. I felt the love that our Heavenely Father has for us and the joy that comes when we just talk to him. 

It was incredible. "Amen." and Stephanie just sat there. Smiling. And then we left. and she sat there on those steps as content as could be... and you guessed it.. I cried... 

Haha. It's amazing the Spirit that little kids have. They recognize us as servants of the Lord. as representatives of Him. Holy cow I love wearing my name tag. What an honor. 

I don't have much time for my other prayer stories. but I'll tell you a few quick funny things.

We are in District meeting and we get a text from this 15 year old, Jose, that we had met tracting and just given him our number in case he needed anything. 

"Hey Hermanas I need your help with a problem." 

I freak out... 

"Hey Jose! What's up? Are you okay?"

"Yeah I need help."

"What kind of problem?"

"A decision."

We call him. He says he "Won't be here after 1PM

My heart jumps to suicide. Blood is rushing through my veins. We have to save this kids life. 

We drive to his apartment and the car is silent. Hermana Thomas thinks that he's like planning our demise and all his friends are gonna jump us. 

We say a fervant prayer before getting out of the car.

We knock on the door. 

Jose - "hey Hermanas..."

"hey..Jose! What's up..."

Jose - "So I can't decide between these two girls.. like which one I want to be my girl friend.." 

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!? It took everything I had not to laugh. I knew Heavenly Father was probably busting up because our prayer was like "please keep us safe and help Jose not be dying.." hahah LADY PROBZ!

It was the sweetest thing. At first we thought that he was talking about US and we're like.. uh missionaries can't date.. hahaha but it wasn't us. :(

We told him to pray. & Read his scriptures.. SO CLICHE! but i mean that's how i make decisions.. 

I was just flattered that he knew we'd come running if he needed anything.. he knew he could trust us. AND WE ONLY MET HIM FOR LIKE 5 minutes? hahah  oh.. missionary work.. 

Quote of the week: 

A crazy man giving us crap about Mormons and Provo Utah blah blah blah.. while we were tracting.. he says..

" DID YOU KNOW 8/10 WOMEN IN PROVO ARE BEAUTIFUL!?!" Hermana Thomas is from Orem so she was like YEAH! hahah The mormons are beautiful. Can't deny it ;)

Mitch has a lot to look forward to (: hahah 

Okay - scriptures. This week I found a new favorite person in the Book of Mormon. Enos. He has one chapter but IT IS SO GOOD. He talks about repentence and prayer and bears his testimony. Short and sweet. Love it. Love Him. The Church is true. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. 

Les quiero muchisimo y siempre.  

- Hermana Skidmore